Home Library Service
A fantastic service for Merton residents who cannot get to their local library and have no one to go for them.
About The Service
We know that some people may not be able to get to a library or that some people may have difficulty in using a library due to physical difficulty or illness. If you fall into this category and have no-one who can go to the library for you, we have a range of services to offer.
The home visits service brings books to your home on a regular basis. You will be able to request specific titles and we will do our best to get them for you. All users of this service must be members of Merton Library and Heritage Service. If you are not already a member, we can join you. If you are a member, you will be required to give up your library ticket so that we can issue your books to you.
- We will talk to you about the kind of books that you want.
- We will bring the books to your home every month.
- We can visit less frequently, if you require.
- We have large print, ordinary print and talking books on CD and tape.
- We have community language books.
- A Volunteer Selector chooses the books and get your items ready for the Volunteer Driver to deliver.
- All Volunteer Drivers are DBS checked.
The deposit collections service leaves a collection of books for a three month period in sheltered housing complexes, day centres etc. for residents or those attending the day centre to use at their leisure. We do ask that you are flexible about when the books are collected.
- We will talk to the manager of the centre or complex about the kind of books that are required.
- We can bring large print and ordinary print books.
- We can bring community language books.
- We will leave a maximum of 50 books.
- We will deliver the items on a monthly basis but you wil be able to hold on to a book if you haven't finished it for 3 months free of charge.
- Most deliveries are selected by Volunteer Selectors. If you would like a specific tittle, you can always ask the Manager of the Care Home/Day Centre or speak to the Volunteer Driver when you see them and we will do our best to get the item for you.
Talking Books By Post
If you require talking books, cannot get to a library and have no-one who can go to the library for you, we can send talking books to you. You will require a CD or cassette player. The Library Service does not provide these.
All users of this service must be members of Merton Library Service. If you are not already a member, we can join you. If you are a member, you will be required to give up your library ticket so that we can issue your books to you. The talking books are posted to your home address and you will be required to send the talking books back to us through the post. All postage for this service is free.